The Past is Washed Away


          While on vacation this summer, I spent a few days at the beach. One morning while walking along the shore, I was fascinated by the way the waves rolled up and washed away my footprints. As I looked behind me and saw that my past steps were gone, it really put in to perspective what our Savior does in our lives.
          Sometimes in life we go through situations that leave us with unwanted memories. Sometimes it is a bad decision, a conflict, an addiction, or an argument or break up with someone you love. We all go through hard times that fill us with pain and regret that we feel will follow us around forever. We get filled with this anger towards ourselves bringing on unnecessary self-doubt and self-hatred. What if I told you that your past sins are forgiven and you can walk freely as a child of God?
          Just like the waves washed away my footsteps, God washes away our past, our greatest sins, and our biggest regrets. Once my footsteps were washed away, I couldn't get them back, I couldn't change what happened. In the same way, I can't change what happened in my past nor can I control the waves that come and go. 
When we invite Jesus into our lives, He takes our past, our sins, and He gets rid of them. He nailed our sins to the cross with His body knowing that we would repeatedly run back to them, but that sin has no grasp on us because He set us free. And believe it or not, every single moment, good or bad, had to happen to mold you into the person that God intends for you to be.

          Philippians 3:13-14 says, "Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what could be. God will work it out.  And remember, your past does not define you.
SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunk

What To Do When You Feel Like Your World Is Falling Apart